Re: pcl-cvs: suppress empty dirs?

From: Robin Dunn
Subject: Re: pcl-cvs: suppress empty dirs?
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 15:11:11 -0700

Stefan Monnier wrote:
feature' that is bugging me.  When I do a cvs-examine in pcl-cvs then any
old empty directories still in the repository are showing up with "new-dir
Need-Update" which is real annoying.

Yes, it's annoying, but it can be very useful if it really means what
it says.

We've got about 10 years or so of revisions in the CVS repository of a very active project and have ended up with a lot of directories that are now empty (no current revisions, just stuff in the Attic) and so with this new 'feature' of pcl-cvs we can end up with 150+ lines of garbage in the buffer hiding the few lines that really mean something. If the cvs output says that it is "ignored" shouldn't pcl-cvs ignore it too?

To get rid of the warning, add the entry to the .cvsignore file
(with a final /).

The problem with this is that I also use CVS repositories that I don't have write access too, so instead of the new-dir lines I'll end up with lines telling me that .cvsignore has been updated.

I've written a small script to wrap cvs such that if "update" is on the command line it pipes cvs's output through grep to remove the lines that are confusing pcl-cvs. It works fine on Linux and OS X, but so far I can't seem to get the pcl-cvs on Windows to execute anything but an .exe file...

#!/bin/bash

CVS=/usr/bin/cvs
TRIM=no

for a in "$@"; do