Re: tramp does not display dired buffers

From: Sebastian Tennant
Subject: Re: tramp does not display dired buffers
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 01:53:28 +0100

Quoth Pawel <null7@wp.pl>:
> When I am visiting remote directories (ssh method), I get the
> following error [in the] *Message* buffer:
>
>   Reading directory /ssh:remotehost:/etc/...
>   dired-insert-directory: Args out of range: 1, 10
>
> According to [the] info page I think dired buffers should work in
> tramp...

Absolutely.  It's pretty much tramp's primary function.

> Do You have any idea what might be the problem.

Not really :-/

(describe-function 'dired-insert-directory)

  dired-insert-directory is a compiled Lisp function in `dired'.
  (dired-insert-directory DIR-OR-LIST SWITCHES &optional WILDCARD FULL-P)
  not documented

Hmm... not much help.

When I request the root directory of my remote server (using tramp and
ssh) I receive the following messages in *Messages*:

  Reading directory /ssh:sebyte@207.210.xxx.yyy:/...
  tramp: Opening connection for sebyte@207.210.xxx.yyy using ssh...
  tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell
  tramp: Waiting 60s for prompt from remote shell
  tramp: Found remote shell prompt.
  tramp: Initializing remote shell
  tramp: Waiting 30s for remote `/bin/sh' to come up...
  tramp: Setting up remote shell environment
  tramp: Checking remote host type for `send-process-string' bug
  tramp: Determining coding system
  tramp: Waiting 30s for `HISTFILE=$HOME/.tramp_history; HISTSIZE=1; export
HISTFILE; export HISTSIZE'
  tramp: Waiting 30s for `set +o vi +o emacs'
  tramp: Waiting 30s for `unset MAIL MAILCHECK MAILPATH'
  tramp: Waiting 30s for `unset CDPATH'
  tramp: Setting shell prompt
  tramp: Remote `/bin/sh' groks tilde expansion, good
  tramp: Finding command to check if file exists
  tramp: Finding a suitable `ls' command
  tramp: Checking remote `/usr/xpg4/bin/ls' command for `-n' option
  tramp: Checking remote `/bin/ls' command for `-n' option
  tramp: Testing remote command `/bin/ls' for -n...okay
  tramp: Using remote command `/bin/ls' for getting directory listings
  tramp: Sending the Perl `mime-encode' implementations.
  tramp: Sending the Perl `mime-decode' implementations.
  tramp: Checking remote encoding command `mimencode -b' for sanity
  tramp: Checking remote encoding command `mmencode -b' for sanity
  tramp: Checking remote encoding command `recode data..base64' for sanity
  tramp: Checking remote encoding command `uuencode xxx' for sanity [4 times]
  tramp: Checking remote encoding command `tramp_encode_with_module' for sanity
  tramp: Checking remote decoding command `tramp_decode_with_module' for sanity
  tramp: Checking to see if encoding/decoding commands work on remote
host...done
  Reading directory /ssh:sebyte@207.210.xxx.yyy:/...done
  tramp: Sending the Perl script `tramp_file_attributes'...done.

How far do you get through this list?

sdt