accessing shell in emacs

From: mitball
Subject: accessing shell in emacs
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 13:36:22 -0700 (PDT)

I'm having trouble with the accessing the shell inside emacs.  As usually I
launch the shell inside emacs using "M-x shell"  However, whenever I type
something into the shell, it's preceeded by ^M^M.  For example:

tcsh> ls
ls^M^m
...then processes command.

The commands I type still seem to work, just that it always shows the ^M^M.
Any idea how to resolve this.  This doesn't happen if I use xterm or
something..