glitches with font-lock-add-keywords

From: ken
Subject: glitches with font-lock-add-keywords
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2006 07:33:04 -0400

In my ~/.emacs I have

(defvar my-extra-keywords
  '(("\\<\\(FIXME\\):" 1 font-lock-warning-face prepend)
    ("\\<\\(XXX\\|xxx\\|???\\|(sp?)\\)\\>" . font-lock-keyword-face)))

(add-hook 'text-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (font-lock-add-keywords nil my-extra-keywords)))

(add-hook 'html-helper-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (font-lock-add-keywords nil my-extra-keywords)))

(add-hook 'emacs-lisp-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (font-lock-add-keywords nil my-extra-keywords)))

The strings "XXX" and "xxx" are the only ones which are colorized at
all, showing up as magenta.  I would like all of them to be something
more striking, like lime-green.  Is there a table or some sort of
"translation" which can be used to determine what actual color names
correspond to vars like "font-lock-warning-face" and
"font-lock-keyword"?  Or, better, can actual color names be used
instead, and if so, where would I find a table or listing of them?

Secondly: None of the strings containing a '?' are colorized at all
(they're just black, the same as "normal" text); I understand that '?'
is a special character in elisp and so requires some minor syntactical
gymnastics to induce emacs to treat it as a regular character.  So what
is the syntax I should use for that here?

Thanks much,
ken

--
As a statistic, the US Unemployment Rate is like saying that no one is
drowning because the flood waters have risen only five inches today.