Lost syntax highlighting

From: Tim Johnson
Subject: Lost syntax highlighting
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 03:00:24 -0000

Using Linux Red Hat 9.0 GNU emacs version 21.4.1

I have lost syntax highlighting for a major mode.

Prior to this, I had attempted to use a different file to load the file.
Syntax highlighting did not work. I reverted to the original code used
for autoloading the mode.

Now syntax highlighting for the original configuration is disabled.
evaluating 'font-lock-fontify-buffer does nothing
evaluating 'list-text-properties-at for any word previously highlighted
  gives: Text property at <line number>:  fontified  t
menu->options->Syntax Highlighting (global font lock mode)
  'checked'
in .emacs
  ;; some of 'custom-set-variables
   '(global-font-lock-mode t nil (font-lock))
   '(max-specpdl-size 2000)
in messages:
  Error during redisplay: (invalid-regexp Trailing backslash) [3 times]
   This message is showed regardless of whether or not I use
   --debug-init. I see no other messages that signal any error.

Particularly puzzling is that the source file for the mode and my .emacs
files were reverted to copies from a day prior, when all was working
fine.

.session was deleted, no difference.

All other features of the mode still work.

Absolutely baffling and disturbing. With my eyesight am working
almost blind with highlighting.

Any and all help would be appreciated.
thanks!
tim