Re: editing mode: .ml files

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: editing mode: .ml files
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 12:20:08 +1000

"r.stiltskin" <jkammet@yahoo.com> writes:

> When I open a file with a .ml extension the mode line says "(Lisp Slime
> [??])"  (when I haven't loaded slime.)
>
> Where's the connection between .ml and Slime?   What can I do to change
> this?
>

> --
> Sent from the Emacs - Help forum at Nabble.com.

I suspect the slime package has set an association between .ml
in the auto-mode-alist

,----
| auto-mode-alist is a variable defined in `files.el'.
| Its value is shown below.
|
| Documentation:
| Alist of filename patterns vs corresponding major mode functions.
| Each element looks like (REGEXP . FUNCTION) or (REGEXP FUNCTION NON-NIL).
| (NON-NIL stands for anything that is not nil; the value does not matter.)
| Visiting a file whose name matches REGEXP specifies FUNCTION as the
| mode function to use.  FUNCTION will be called, unless it is nil.
|
| If the element has the form (REGEXP FUNCTION NON-NIL), then after
| calling FUNCTION (if it's not nil), we delete the suffix that matched
| REGEXP and search the list again for another match.
|
| If the file name matches `inhibit-first-line-modes-regexps',
| then `auto-mode-alist' is not processed.
|
| The extensions whose FUNCTION is `archive-mode' should also
| appear in `auto-coding-alist' with `no-conversion' coding system.
|
| See also `interpreter-mode-alist', which detects executable script modes
| based on the interpreters they specify to run,
| and `magic-mode-alist', which determines modes based on file contents.

`----

If the association exists in auto-mode-alist, you will need to find
the slime setup code which creates that association and remove it. On
many Linux distros, this can be found in /etc/emacs/site-lisp.d or
somewhere similar.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au