Re: emacs for winXP and spell checking??

From: Jay Bingham
Subject: Re: emacs for winXP and spell checking??
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 16:01:29 GMT

On Thursday, June 22, 2006 8:26 AM Johs wrote:

> I have installed emacs for winXP, but how do I enable some kind
> og spell checking?

You will need to install a spell program Ispell and Aspell are both
available (I recommend Aspell, see http://aspell.net/ for reasons)
then add some statements to your .emacs file to enable it.

You can find the latest Aspell that has been ported for windows at:
http://aspell.net/win32/
Download the Aspell binaries (Full installer) and the precompiled
dictionaries of your choice. (You will need at least one dictionary,
but can have multiple dictionaries if you desire).
I recommend installing in the c:/aspell directory.

Once you have Aspell installed put the following in your .emacs (note
that the internal variable names in emacs begin with ispell-):
;; Enable aspell as the spell program
;; (Requires that the Aspell program and a dictionary be installed on
the PC.
;;  Install them in: c:\Aspell
;;  Add the following to the PATH variable: c:\Aspell\bin
;;  The latest version of the Aspell program, Aspell-<version>.exe,
;;  and the dictionary of your choice, for example: aspell-en-
<version>.exe,
;;  can be found at http://aspell.net/win32/).
(setq-default ispell-program-name "aspell")

You can also put the following in your .emacs if you desire to have
regions skipped in c and java modes, similar hooks can be added for
other modes as well:

;;-*- -*- -*- -*- -*-
;; (message "Add c mode hook")
(add-hook 'c-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (set (make-local-variable 'ispell-skip-region-alist)
                 (cons '("\\\\[abfnrtv\\'\"]")
                       ispell-skip-region-alist))))

;;-*- -*- -*- -*- -*-
;; (message "Add java mode hook")
(add-hook 'java-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (set (make-local-variable 'ispell-skip-region-alist)
                 (cons '("\\\\[abfnrtv\\'\"]")
                       ispell-skip-region-alist))))

__
J_)
C_)ingham

PrivatePhone - FREE telephone number & voicemail.
A number so private, you can make it public.
http://www.privatephone.com