Re: jumping to peer parenthesis/brace

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: jumping to peer parenthesis/brace
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 23:57:41 +0200

Am 22.06.2006 um 21:14 schrieb Colin S. Miller:

Peter Dyballa wrote:
Am 22.06.2006 um 10:17 schrieb Pawel:
Could You tell me ow to do the following thing:
Forward-sexp. And there is also backward-sexp.
--

What is the difference between C-M-n (forward-list) and C-M-f (forward-sexp) ?

For/Backward-sexp works always. A "sexp" is a "balanced expression." I do not understand this concept completely, but as examples I've seen it work over {} and [] and () balanced blocks, as long as the point is at the block but outside of it. If there is none such, the sexp is a word, because it's "balanced" by white space or punctuation? In any case some movement happens.

For/Backward-list moves over the block *plus* the characters between the point and the end or beginning of the block. When inside a block, it produces an error, at least in TeX code -- which I really do not like.

--
Greetings

  Pete