Re: "more", "ls -l", and column 80 in shell

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: "more", "ls -l", and column 80 in shell
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 19:42:40 +1000

> You could also check if $TERM is "emacs" ... If your ls does not
> colourise its output by default, you could switch that on in such a
> clause as above. I have to switch this off in ~/.emacs_tcsh because
> in *shell* buffer I would see a lot of ANSI Esc sequences to switch
> colour or brightness on or off.

You can get the colour version of ls to work using the various
ansi-color-* functions and variables built into emacs. Try an apropos
for ansi.

I have also noticed there seems to be quite a few systems which have
the ls --color= option set "oddly" - the gnu version of lis has a
number of options for preventing colour escape codes being used if the
output is either a dumb terminal or it is being redirected to some
other device/file - this makes it easy to pipe ls output into other
programs and avoid issues from weird escape sequences etc.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au