Re: "more", "ls -l", and column 80 in shell

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: "more", "ls -l", and column 80 in shell
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 17:30:19 +0200

Am 25.06.2006 um 11:42 schrieb Tim X:

I have also noticed there seems to be quite a few systems which have
the ls --color= option set "oddly" - the gnu version of lis has a
number of options for preventing colour escape codes being used if the
output is either a dumb terminal or it is being redirected to some
other device/file - this makes it easy to pipe ls output into other
programs and avoid issues from weird escape sequences etc.

I think the ls command in Apple's Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) is even better: it "knows" which terminals can set colours! Until Panther (Mac OS X 10.3) I had to prevent the colourising feature, now I actually have to turn it on actively! GNU's ls is not that careful -- and it cannot display UTF-8 characters! GNU ls cannot be recommended.

(ansi-color-for-comint-mode-on) should be OK for modern Emacsen to allow the translation of ANSI codes into "SGR control sequences of comint output into text-properties" -- I think only the CVS versions offer this feature, for stable GNU Emacs 21.4 it was not included.

--
Greetings

  Pete

     _o    o         o   o