Re: "more", "ls -l", and column 80 in shell

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: "more", "ls -l", and column 80 in shell
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 09:37:12 +0900

>>> I had to prevent the colourising feature, now I actually have to
>>> turn it on actively!  GNU's ls is not that careful -- and it cannot
>>> display UTF-8 characters!
>>
>> Huh?  Neither of these things seem to be true....
>
> It is true for a *shell* buffer in GNU Emacs 22.0.50: I see ``a<empty
> box>´´ instead of ``ä´´, as in dired. In GNU Emacs 23.0.0 it all  looks
> right.

Sounds like your environment is messed up.  What do you have LANG set to?

Emacs will use LANG to try and set the correct decoding for process
output (look at the mode-line of the *shell* buffer: there should be a
"u:" at the beginning if your system is using utf-8).

Also I think (but only based on observation) that ls will only output
raw characters if they are valid in the locale named by LANG, and AFAIK,
"valid" means listed in "/etc/locale.gen".

[ I have: LANG="ja_JP.UTF-8" ]

I'm using Emacs 22.0.50 (of a week or so ago) too.

-Miles
--
A zen-buddhist walked into a pizza shop and
said, "Make me one with everything."