Re: Tag based dired?

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: Tag based dired?
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 10:36:30 +0200

Xiao-Yong Jin <xj2106NO@SPAMcolumbia.edu> writes:

> Amazing.  I've been using emacs-unicode-2 branch for a year and wasn't
> aware of Tumme's existence until now.  Certainly it's a great step
> beyond the thumbs.el.  :-)

Well, it came into CVS Emacs some months ago, and it is quite easy to
miss.

> 1) I got this when I first use tumme-tag-files
>    basic-save-buffer-2: /home/jin/.emacs.d/tumme/.tumme_db: no such directory
>    It would be fine to add a simple test and create the directory
>    automatically.

I'll look into that. In your case, was it .emacs.d or its sub
directory "tumme" that was missing?

> 2) Is there a more visible way to see all the tags associated to the
>    files in dired buffer?

Not really. When you use Tumme for its original purpose, to browse
image thumbnails, you will see in the echo area all tags associated to
each image when you move around the thumbnails in the thumbnail
buffer. It would be easy to implement that for other files
too. Something like this, maybe:

(require 'tumme)

(defun tumme-dired-display-tags (file)
  "Display file FILE's tags in the echo area."
  (let ((tags (tumme-list-tags file)))
    (if tags
        (message "Tags: %s"
                 (mapconcat
                  (lambda (x)
                    x)
                  tags ", ")))))

(defun tumme-dired-next-line-display-tags (&optional arg)
  "In dired, go to next line and display tags, if any"
  (interactive "p")
  (dired-next-line arg)
  (tumme-dired-display-tags (dired-get-filename)))

(defun tumme-dired-previous-line-display-tags (&optional arg)
  "In dired, go to previous line and display tags, if any"
  (interactive "p")
  (dired-previous-line arg)
  (tumme-dired-display-tags (dired-get-filename)))

;; Bind keys in Dired

(define-key dired-mode-map "n" 'tumme-dired-next-line-display-tags)
(define-key dired-mode-map "p" 'tumme-dired-previous-line-display-tags)

Try it!