Re: file modified on opening

From: François Gannaz
Subject: Re: file modified on opening
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 20:24:41 +0200

Le mer 28 jun 09:43, Mickey Ferguson a écrit :
> >I'm using a mmm-mode for HTML and PHP files (mixing html-helper-mode,
> >php-mode, css-mode, etc.). When I open some files, they are marked as
> >modifed ("**" in status bar), even if I just view them from Dired. Of
> >course, the content isn't really modified.
>
> Is there any chance that something that your .emacs is doing is causing
> the butter to be modified?  One example I can think of is if you
> automatically enter and exit picture-mode.  A buffer that has any
> trailing spaces at the end of a line will then be modified by trimming
> the trailing spaces.  Now this is only one possible example, but I would
> comment out everything in your .emacs, and then add back in, piece by
> piece, until you might find a cause that way.

At first, I thought it was this, but I've already narrowed my .emacs to

(require 'mmm-mode)
(setq mmm-global-mode 'maybe)
(mmm-add-group
 'fancy-html
  '(
   (html-php-embedded
    :submode php-mode
    :face mmm-code-submode-face
    :front "<\\?\\(php\\)?"
    :back "\\?>")
   ))
(add-to-list 'mmm-mode-ext-classes-alist '(html-helper-mode nil fancy-html))

And with such a tiny config, my file is still tagged as modified (at
least with Emacs22, it's OK with Emacs 21). Maybe it's because of
Debian's initialization, but I doubt it.

I tried debugging the wole process, I even learned to use edebug as the plain
backtracing wasn't enough, but I can't find anything for now. I'll try
debugging once again as I can't think of anything better.

--
François