setting continuation chars

From: gamename
Subject: setting continuation chars
Date: 28 Jun 2006 12:20:27 -0700

Hi,

I have a tcl file that uses procedures with lots of parms.
Consequently, I often have to span multiple lines.
Example

To span multiple lines, you need to use the backslash ("\") as a
continuation.
Example:

blit \
-a <some parm> \
-b <some parm> \
-c <some parm>

But, I prefer a format where all the backslashes are placed in a
specific column.  It would then look more like this:

blit                  \
-a <some parm>        \
-b <some parm>        \
-c <some parm>

...which makes the continuations obvious.

Is there any way to do one of the following in emacs:

1) automagically put the continuation at a specific column number
OR
2) use some sort of command (regex?) to insert the needed spaces up to
a certain column and then put in a backslash?

TIA,
-T