font or face problem in emacs

From: H.S.
Subject: font or face problem in emacs
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 16:50:09 -0400

Hello,

When I compile a program in emacs, I notice that I get some strange escape sequences in the compiler output window of emacs. For example, if my program is:
#include<iostream>
int main(){
    int i,j;
    std::cout << "Hellow Wrold!" << std::endl;
    return 0;
}

and I compile it with:
g++ -Wall -ansi -o testprog testprog.cc

I get the following in my emacs compiler message window (notice the strange characters around the variables and function names):
g++ -Wall -ansi -o testprog testprog.cc
testprog.cc: In function ‘int main()’:
testprog.cc:6: warning: unused variable ‘i’
testprog.cc:6: warning: unused variable ‘j’

Compilation finished at Thu Jun 29 15:01:30

The strange characters around a variable are(I have typed the backslashes and numbers so that they are displayed properly here):
on left hand side: â\200\230
on right hand side: â\200\231

I guess this has something to do with the face of those strings in the compiler output in emacs. And that I may not have proper fonts installed. Am I on the right track? All inputs are welcome in solving this little problem.

BTW, this started happening only after I reintalled Debian Etch a few weeks ago.

I have:
> dpkg -l *emacs* | grep ^ii
ii  emacs-goodies-el    26.6-1   Miscellaneous add-ons for Emacs
ii  emacs21             21.4a-3  The GNU Emacs editor
ii  emacs21-bin-common  21.4a-3  The GNU Emacs editor's shared, architecture
ii  emacs21-common      21.4a-3  The GNU Emacs editor's shared, architecture
ii  emacsen-common      1.4.17   Common facilities for all emacsen

thanks,
->HS