Re: font or face problem in emacs

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: font or face problem in emacs
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 23:41:21 +0200

From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 00:18:34 +0200
Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Make the *compilation* buffer be encoded in UTF-8

In the interests of not getting users confused, and also to make the
terminology right, let me note that buffers in Emacs are not encoded,
neither in UTF-8 or Latin-1, nor in any other similar encoding.
Characters are only encoded by Emacs when it writes the buffer to a
file or sends it to some program.

What you probably wanted to say was ``make Emacs decode the compiler's
output as UTF-8''.  That is, things need to be set up so that Emacs
interprets the byte stream from the compiler as UTF-8 encoding of
Unicode characters.  It will then decode those bytes into the internal
representation used to store characters within Emacs buffers.

Probably the way you put your words is what I meant to write -- but somehow I lost track of cause and effect! It's hard to find a difference between them in a world of quanta with German flags everywhere. Actually I haven't yet seen one coming out of a ... ahem, point in the back!

--
Greetings

  Pete

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us. -- Bill Watterson, in his comic strip Calvin and Hobbes