Re: End of .emacs file during parsing

From: news
Subject: Re: End of .emacs file during parsing
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 21:26:11 +0100

news wrote:
Edward O'Connor wrote:
they all do!). However, when I load emacs I get a message saying "Error
in init file: End of file during parsing".

Here's your problem:

(global-set-key [C-f1] 'comp

Ted

Thanks guys! I should have spotted that. Good to know about M-x check-parens though.

I dunno if I should create a new thread for this, but the next question I'm a bit stuck on is exactly how to install new packages. I've looked at a few things on the internet and got .el files - but none of them say where to put them or anything, and I can't seem to find much of help on google, even the FAQ doesn't seem to say anything!

Some .el files have comments talking about byte-compiling the file, and putting it in your load-path, but I'm not really sure what they're talking about!

Cheers,

Robin

In fact I've just found how to do this from the EmacsWiki (http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/InstallingPackages) so I'll have a go at installing the package.

Robin