Re: configuring emacs as a programmer's editor

From: Ted
Subject: Re: configuring emacs as a programmer's editor
Date: 3 Jul 2006 13:15:48 -0700

Ted wrote:
> [snip]
> Compiling file c:/emacs-21.3/mode-compile.el at Fri Jun 30 11:54:37
> 2006
>   !! End of file during parsing
>
> This looks like an error message, but it doesn't make sense given that
> the last line in the file is:
>
> ;;; mode-compile.el ends here
>
> This tells me that the file I'm working with has not been truncated.
>
> Why does byte-compiling this file fail?  Is the file on the above site
> defective?  Is the file available elsewhere?

I found out why.  When I go to the website and save the file directly
from within Internet Explorer, I invariably get the end of file
nonsense.  I also have to delete some HTML tags both at the beginning
and end of the file, along with the ^L characters.  If, instead, I
right-click the web page and select "view source", I get a window in
which there are no HTML tags, but I still have to delete the ^L
characters.  But in doing this, the file compiles properly, with only
the warnings you mentioned.  Now emacs behaves as I wish, at least for
Perl programming.

Now, all I need is to find out how to slightly alter how SQL is
handled.  I'd like to be able to use Emacs as a client for MySQL and
for PostgreSQL.  Can Emacs be set up to ease submitting SQL statements
to either MySQL or PostgreSQL as I wish?  If so, how?  I have done a
number of searches on this, but the signal to noise ratio is extremely
low.

Thanks,

Ted