RE: How to install packages

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: How to install packages
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 15:09:07 -0700

    > Just to avoid other problems, let me point out that help+.el
    > works with Emacs 20, not 21 or 22.

    Thanks for telling me that Drew - I didn't realise (I'm sure it says
    somewhere but I just didn't look!).

Each of my libraries has this in the file header:
 ;; Compatibility: GNU Emacs 20.x
or
 ;; Compatibility: GNU Emacs 20.x, GNU Emacs 21.x, GNU Emacs 22.x
etc.

Also, if you picked up help+.el from Emacs Wiki, then the page listing my
libraries (http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/DrewsElispLibraries) has:

 - section "Which Emacs Version", about version support
 - lists of libraries for different Emacs versions:
   . "Emacs 22 (and 21 (and 20 (and ...)))"
   . "Emacs 22 and Emacs 21 (will not work in older versions)"
   . "Emacs 20"

help+.el is listed in the last of these sections, for Emacs 20 only.

    how do I find out my emacs version?

Menu Help > Show Version or Help > About Emacs, or, as Colin mentioned, `C-h
v emacs-version'.

HTH.