Re: different behaviour between emacs on linux and emacs on windows

From: Johan Bockgård
Subject: Re: different behaviour between emacs on linux and emacs on windows
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 03:47:15 +0200

"Ted" <r.ted.byers@rogers.com> writes:

> Instead, I have to remember where all my files are and type in the
> full path and file name.

Have you tried the TAB key?

> Is there a dialog of the sort I value available in emacs running on
> Linux, just hiding somewhere waiting to be found and enabled?

It depends on which toolkit Emacs was compiled with. File selection
dialogs are available with the Motif/LessTif (and GTK for Emacs 22)
toolkits. Also, a dialog is only used if you invoke the command
through the file menu, not when you use the keyboard. (And
use-dialog-box must be non-nil, but it should be by default.)

--
Johan Bockgård