Re: VB mode?

From: Sebastian Meisel
Subject: Re: VB mode?
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 17:47:54 +0200

Am Mittwoch, 12. Juli 2006 15:16 schrieb Simon:
> Hi there,
>   I recently started programming in Visual Basic and decided to use my
> favorite text editor: emacs.  However, best would be to have a mode
> that will highlight keywords, ident, and everything.
>
>   I did find such a file:
> http://d116.com/hacks/emacs/visual-basic-mode.el
>
>   However, in the instructions, it says to put the file in my path
> (ok...) and then to compile it, what does that mean?  I've never
> touched lisp before so i have no idea what it's fed with in the
> winter...
>
> I will not have time to read and understand the manual for a long time,
> so if you care to help an emacs lover like me, please do so!
>
> Oh! by the way, I'm currently using xemacs on windows, but will also
> use emacs and xemacs on linux (slackware).
>
> Thanks,
>   Simon

Hi Simon,

you don't have to compile anything. Just put the file to

/usr/share/emacs/21.4/lisp/progmodes/
                                 ^^^ may be different depending on the version

                                        of emacs you're using

Then you put
->>
 (setq any mode-customization variables you want here)
(autoload 'visual-basic-mode "visual-basic-mode" "Visual Basic mode." t)
(setq auto-mode-alist (append '(("\\.\\(frm\\|bas\\|cls\\)$" .
                                  visual-basic-mode)) auto-mode-alist))
<<-

to your .emacs file, as is stated in visual-basic-mode.el.

Then you have to close emacs. When you open a visual-basic-file the next time
in emacs, visual-basic-mode is used.

--
Sebastian Meisel