Re: dvipdf vs buildt-in converter to pdf??

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: dvipdf vs buildt-in converter to pdf??
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 13:37:18 +0200

Am 15.07.2006 um 12:47 schrieb Leon:

Which DVI viewer are you using?

I am on Mac OS X which has no "native" DVI viewer. Xdvi runs, of course, as an X11 client. The "Aqua clients" TeXniscope or TeXShop (the best PDF viewer you can find) convert DVI to PDF via dvipdfmx or dvipdfm (teTeX supports MAP files automatically). TeXShop "sees" that the source (at least PDF) has changed and automatically updates. I've set TeXShop as viewer application for a few TeX document formats in texdoc. So it's texdoc that is used from AUCTeX to display everything for which GNU Emacs does not suffice.

There is another problem with dvipdfm (besides it lacks support in AUCTeX): it's dead (but not complete; or do you see for example support for TTF or OTF fonts?). Development happens in dvipdfmx (and xdvipdfmx for XeTeX output), which also supports CJK text (maybe more).

--
Greetings

  Pete

Behold the warranty ... the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.