One more time: binding overwrite-mode to Apple kbd

From: kj
Subject: One more time: binding overwrite-mode to Apple kbd
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 16:07:13 +0000 (UTC)

Apple keyboards apparently don't have an <insert> key (mine certainly
doesn't), which is a pain when one wants to toggle overwrite-mode.
Searching online I've found claims that the <help> key in these
keyboards serves as the <insert> key, but when I use it in Emacs,
the <help> key produces the help- prefix (reasonably enough); i.e.
it is equivalent to hitting C-h.  I'd be perfectly happy to jettison
this functionality, since I find C-h convenient enough.  I am
assuming that the <help> key emits a different code from what's
sent by C-h.  I have two questions: 1) can this raw *keyboard code*
be bound to an Emacs command? and if yes, 2) how do I determine
what this code is?

The situation on my MacBook portable's keyboard is even worse: it
doesn't even have a <help> key.  I suppose I'll just bind C-c i to
overwrite-mode.  Any better ideas?

Thanks!

kj