Re: One more time: binding overwrite-mode to Apple kbd

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: One more time: binding overwrite-mode to Apple kbd
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 19:16:53 +0200

kj <socyl@987jk.com.invalid> writes:

> Apple keyboards apparently don't have an <insert> key (mine certainly
> doesn't), which is a pain when one wants to toggle overwrite-mode.
> Searching online I've found claims that the <help> key in these
> keyboards serves as the <insert> key, but when I use it in Emacs,
> the <help> key produces the help- prefix (reasonably enough); i.e.
> it is equivalent to hitting C-h.  I'd be perfectly happy to jettison
> this functionality, since I find C-h convenient enough.  I am
> assuming that the <help> key emits a different code from what's
> sent by C-h.  I have two questions: 1) can this raw *keyboard code*
> be bound to an Emacs command?

Yes.

> and if yes, 2) how do I determine
> what this code is?

You don't need to.

Just evaluate (and put in your ~/.emacs):

   (global-set-key (kbd "<help>") (function overwrite-mode))

> The situation on my MacBook portable's keyboard is even worse: it
> doesn't even have a <help> key.  I suppose I'll just bind C-c i to
> overwrite-mode.

   (global-set-key (kbd "C-c i") (function overwrite-mode))

> Any better ideas?

No.

PUBLIC NOTICE AS REQUIRED BY LAW: Any use of this product, in any
manner whatsoever, will increase the amount of disorder in the
universe. Although no liability is implied herein, the consumer is
warned that this process will ultimately lead to the heat death of
the universe.