Re: One more time: binding overwrite-mode to Apple kbd

From: kj
Subject: Re: One more time: binding overwrite-mode to Apple kbd
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 12:48:52 +0000 (UTC)

In <uy7ussdji.fsf@gmail.com> Mathias Dahl <brakjoller@gmail.com> writes:

>don provan <dprovan@comcast.net> writes:

>> Wait, you *want* to toggle the useless overwrite-mode on?
>> Are you crazy? I wish my PC keyboard *didn't* have an insert
>> key. Not that it's a problem with Emacs, of course, but in
>> Windows applications, accidentally finding myself in
>> overwrite mode drives me crazy.

>I tend to agree, but I won't count this guy out just yet :) Maybe he
>has some smart way of working with that feature?

Nothing smart about it, I'm afraid.  I just *never* find myself
accidentally hitting the <insert> key so it is never a problem.
(The caps lock key, on the other hand, has more than once led to
massive mayhem and destruction in my rare sessions with
that-other-text-editor.) I think Emacs' overwrite-mode is very
handy whenever I'm editing text in which, for visual/legibility
reasons, the position of characters on the line matters; it's faster
than inserting the new and deleting the old.  If there's a better
alternative, I'm all ears.

kj