Re: dissociated-press help: M-x not recognized

From: Martin Jost
Subject: Re: dissociated-press help: M-x not recognized
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 16:41:54 +0200

Hello,

front note:
I myself use emacs almost completely on HPUX (10.20) and on GNU/Linux. So I
have very little experience with emacs on windows. (Although I have used it
rarely)

"Tsu Dho Nimh" <abacaxi@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
1152650788.552714.322530@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com">news:1152650788.552714.322530@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com...
> I downloaded and installed emacs for Windows,
> emacs-21.3-fullbin-i386.tar.gz from the GNU site, according to the FAQ
> for Windows.  The installation seems to be working in that I can
> create, open, edit, and save files.  But the real reason I installed it
> was to run dissociated-press and that isn't working.
>
> There are two files named dissociated in the \lisp\play directory, but
> I can't get them to run.
>
> emacs does not run the shell commands, such as M-x dissociated-press or
> M-x fo.  When I try, I get this error:  'M-x' is not recognized as an
> internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
>
> SYSTEM:
> OS Win2K, AMD chip, 256MB RAM ... nothing fancy, and it's a stable
> machine.
>
> 1 - Is there something emacs needs before it can run the shell commands
> - perhaps something that was not included in the file I downloaded
> because it's rare for the usual emacs user to not have it?

A horrible thought comes up ... do you try to start the emacs files with
extension .el on the command prompt of windows (cmd.exe) ?
This won't work !
All the .el-files are meant to be run _inside_ emacs itself.

- Start emacs (There should be a emacs.exe; I guess it is also to be found in
the Start-menu)
  It seems you already succeded in doing this.
- Inside emacs load the file you want to dissociate (There should be a menu
entry for this)
  It seems also you already succeded in doing this.
- then type
  <ESC>x dissociated-press
  (Meaning "The Esc-key, followed by the key x, followed by the string"; M
(Meta) is usually mapped to the ESC-key on windows)
- this should give you the "dissociated " text in a new buffer

If this doesn't work, there should be a Help/Tutorial menu to teach you the
basics.
And yes, sorry emacs has a rather steep learning curve - but it pays back very
nicely when you've "got it".

> 2 - Is there a configuration setting somewhere that would make
> dissociated-press appear on a menu like the games do (I'm a
> pointy-click Windows person because I'm a lousy typist). Anything on a
> menu runs as expected.

No not for the commands to be run inside emacs. At least not without a big
bunch of hackery.

HTH

Martin