Re: compiling emacs/nt from cvs using cygwin tools

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: compiling emacs/nt from cvs using cygwin tools
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 21:19:09 +0300

> From: "emacs user" <emacs_user@hotmail.com>
> Date: 19 Jul 2006 02:46:03 -0700
>
> > In my experience the "nt" folder is for MingW and MSVC, although the
> > docs don't explicitly say that.
>
> they indeed dont say that.

I think the docs does say that.  Here's the relevant excerpt from
nt/INSTALL:

    * Supported development environments

      To compile Emacs, you will need either Microsoft Visual C++ 2.0 or
      later and nmake, or a Windows port of GCC 2.95 or later with MinGW
      and W32 API support and a port of GNU Make.  You can use the Cygwin
      ports of GCC, but Emacs requires the MinGW headers and libraries to
      build (latest versions of the Cygwin toolkit, at least since v1.3.3,
      include the MinGW headers and libraries as an integral part).

If you think this leaves the issue not entirely clear, please point
out where's the source of ambiguity, and I will try to improve the
wording.