Re: compiling emacs/nt from cvs using cygwin tools

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: compiling emacs/nt from cvs using cygwin tools
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 21:24:32 +0300

> From: "emacs user" <emacs_user@hotmail.com>
> Date: 18 Jul 2006 23:23:27 -0700
>
> having read various emacs instruction files, I got emacs from cvs, got
> into cygwin bash prompt on a cygwin xterm, and
> cd emacs
> make maintainer-clean
> cd emacs/nt
> configure.bat
> make bootstrap.
>
> things went well for quite a while, until I get the following.  any
> hints are greatly appreciated
> if there is an easier way to compile emacs from cvs, I am interested
> too...  thanks!  EU

Please read the file nt/INSTALL in its entirety.  You will see that it
clearly advises _against_ using the Cygwin Make (which I assumed you
used, since you tried to compile with the Cygwin tools).

I suggest a four-step dance to build the native version of Emacs:

 . Start a native Windows Command Prompt window, running cmd.exe, not
   Bash.

 . Rename or temporarily remove the Cygwin port of Bash.

 . Install a native port of GNU Make.

 . Repeat the commands mentioned above.