Adding an entry to the menu bar

From: Tim Allen
Subject: Adding an entry to the menu bar
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 15:18:59 +0100 (BST)

Hi

I'm trying to add an entry to the Buffers menu bar (for creating a new
scratch). My attempt below works OK when adding to the Files menu, but
changing "files" to "buffers" does not insert the new menu option:

(define-key global-map
  [menu-bar files create-scratch]
  '("New buffer" . create-scratch-buffer))

I think this may be because the contents of the Buffers menu is created
"on-the-fly", as it needs to list the actual buffers present. Can anyone
help with this?

Thanks

Tim