Re: Emacs\terminal window\Mac OS X 10.4.7

From: Colin S. Miller
Subject: Re: Emacs\terminal window\Mac OS X 10.4.7
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 14:27:17 +0100

Frank Murray wrote:
Hello,

   This is a newbie question.  I am trying to compile a Java program in the
Emacs editor, using the command "M <meta> x compile."

The <M (Meta)> key on my Mac keyboard is the <Esc> key.  When I enter the
above command it prints out to the screen "make -k." When I hit <Return>, it comes
back with an error message stating:

 "make -k make
 make: ***No rule to make target 'make'

Compilation exited abnormally with code 2 at [whatever the day's date is]"

Obviously I'm doing something wrong, or not giving the correct compile
instructions or commands.

Any help is appreciated.  Thank you.

fjm

The "make -k" is the command you want to run to build your program,
this is correct if you are using makefiles to control the build.

You can change this to any command you want - in your case (IIRC)

jcc main.java

The default build command can be set by adding to your .emacs file

(setq compile-command "jcc main.java")

HTH,
Colin S. Miller

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the
hostname to reply.