Re: How big are your customisations?

From: Davin Pearson
Subject: Re: How big are your customisations?
Date: 28 Jul 2006 02:56:06 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> I'm hardly a customization junkie: my .emacs has only 727 lines, many
> of which target various platforms on which I work, and some even old
> versions of Emacs, if I ever need to use them again.

My first customisation was to set tab-width to 4.

The online help for Emacs is excellent
and I became somewhat addicted to
the process of customisation... learning
more and changing more and so on...

Then I redefined C-x f to C-f (in all modes)
to save my left hand from too much
stretching.  I still can't believe that most
people don't do this.

Then I changed the command M-c to behave
like so aaa_bbb_ccc -> Aaa_Bbb_Ccc
for more readable C++ code.

Then I (re)defined all of the function
keys to perform common operations
like f8 to undo and f9 to compile.

Ten years later I now have 15 thousand lines of Lisp code.
I have put my most important changes on my website:

http://www.geocities.com/davinpearson/research/2006/mopa2e.html

The coolest features of Emacs
are IMHO are the dabbrev and the customisable
syntax highlighting.

I have defined some predicate variables that
have different values depending on what system you are on.
Example:

emacs-dialect--dosemacs-p
emacs-dialect--xemacs-p
emacs-dialect--gnuemacs-p