RE: Q on using shell mode remotely

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Q on using shell mode remotely
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 15:56:52 -0700

    >     And, I couldn't cd to a remote directory within the
    >     *shell* buffer, even using the syntax
    >     /host-address:/home/my-home...

    That would be rather silly to expect.  After all, the cd has to be
    interpreted by the shell.

Why? I did `M-x shell' within a Dired of a remote directory. The problem, I
imagine, would be to let the shell executing locally know that the directory
and files are remote.

If Emacs can see the remote files, then Emacs (and ftp) could interface them
to the local shell. I'm not saying it should work that way; I'm saying it
seems like it could. My question was just whether Emacs did anything like
that.

    Try using M-x eshell RET and you'll find things work better.
    Try doing something like M-! in a remote file buffer.

I know about those. I was asking about shell mode (see the Subject line). I
guess the answer is "you can't", so at least I'm no longer wondering.