RE: Q on using shell mode remotely

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Q on using shell mode remotely
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 08:42:00 -0700

    >     (eval-after-load "telnet"
    >        '(setq telnet-prompt-pattern
    >            (concat telnet-prompt-pattern
    >     "\\([12]?[0-9]:[0-5][0-9][ap]m\\)?")))
    >
    > I'll use `telnet-prompt-pattern', myself, to hack this problem,

    Please let us know if it works.

It works perfectly. Thanks, Kevin.

    Looking at telnet.el:

I didn't have time to track down why it works, but it does, so I'm happy.

    > but it would
    > be good if there were a variable that dealt with $rprompt somehow.

    I don't see how it could.  The remote csh presumably displays $rprompt
    on the right side of the screen via terminal escape codes or simple
    ASCII control characters; but the telnet subprocess is discarding that
    data, either explicitly via telnet-filter or implicitly via process-
    connection-type.  So you end up with $rprompt displayed immediately
    adjacent to $prompt in your *telnet-HOST* buffer, and you've got to
    account for that via telnet-prompt-regexp.

Yes, but if the telnet subprocess can discard the control characters or
whatever, then it could also, say, discard the $rprompt stuff. I'm not
saying it should do that systematically, but it might be good to have an
option to do so.

Anyway, thanks again.

BTW, I filed a bug, to see if we can't 1) make `telnet-prompt-pattern' into
a user option, like `shell-prompt-pattern', and 2) get more visibility for
some of the telnet-specific stuff like `telnet-prompt-pattern' in `C-h m'.
Dired mode describes options and commands, for instance, and that's quite
helpful.