Re: Compiling C++ in Emacs (read Compiling and Testing...)

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Compiling C++ in Emacs (read Compiling and Testing...)
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 07:35:30 -0600

Paulo J. Matos wrote:
I'm probably missing something. I have a dir: software/prog/ where I
have a Makefile and some sources managed by autotools (which generate
the Makefile).
Then I have software/prog-build, where I run: ../prog/configure ... etc.
This way I'm editing in software/prog and running make in software/prog-build.

My guess is if I do M-x compile, make will run in software/prog where
there is not any makefile, because after all, there's where the file
is being edited.

Above, you said software/prog is where the Makefile resides.

How can I pass the directory where the make command should be run?

M-x compile RET
C-a C-k
cd /directory/to/run/in && make target

--