Re: Simple elisp question

From: Eric Hanchrow
Subject: Re: Simple elisp question
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 13:20:17 -0700

    Chris> Here's a basic elisp question: I want to use the value of a
    Chris> variable within a list, rather than the name of the
    Chris> variable.  How do I do this?  Here's the code in question.

    Chris> (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news_server"))

    Chris> I want to replace the hard-coded "news_server" with the
    Chris> value of a variable I've defined called my_news_server
    Chris> defined with (setq my_news_server "news_server")

Two ways, which differ only in how they look (i.e., either way will
work; choose the one that seems least weird :-))

        (setq gnus-select-method `(nntp ,my_news_server))

or

        (setq gnus-select-method (list 'nntp my_news_server))

--
One of the fundamental philosophical questions of our time is
why Goofy is a person and Pluto is a dog.