cannot get a GUI from Emacs 21.4

From: leo . hou
Subject: cannot get a GUI from Emacs 21.4
Date: 3 Aug 2006 18:03:18 -0700

I am very new to Linux. I just installed a Knoppix to my HD which does
not have emacs. So emacs became the first app I downloaded and
compiled.

I used ./configure and make then make install. After that which emacs
shows /user/bin/emacs. I think I am done. So I ran it. But all I get
this a text mode emacs (same as emacs -nw).

I searched the newsgroup and verified $DISPLAY. It is correctly set to
:0.0
Even if I run emacs -d :0.0, it is the same result w/o any warning or
error

I try to run emacs from the KDE's run command window instead of a
shell. But nothing happens. (not even a terminal emacs)

Could anyone help me? I can run other app with GUI from terminal, such
as kwrite, display, etc.

Thanks in advance

Emacs Beginner