RE: Q on using shell mode remotely

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Q on using shell mode remotely
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 01:00:01 -0700

        Please let us know if it works.

    It works perfectly. Thanks, Kevin.

        Looking at telnet.el:

    I didn't have time to track down why it works, but it does, so
    I'm happy.

Actually, FYI, I realized belatedly that I was not using the vanilla Emacs
telnet.el - it doesn't seem work for me on Windows. I'm using some
Emacs-Lisp code by Zoltan Kemenczy, which works with a native Windows telnet
executable by Igor Milavec and Naftali Ramati. (I've had it for a few years,
but I don't remember trying it before.)

In hopes that it might help others (unless there is something better), I put
the Lisp code here: http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/telnet-contrib.el.
This also includes an Emacs telnet command by Ngai Kim Hoong that works with
the Cygwin telnet executable for Windows.

The Hoong code is from here: http://www.khngai.com/emacs/cygwin.php. Links
to the Milavec and Naftali-Ramati executable (sources) and the Kemenczy Lisp
code are here: http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/faq8.html#telnet.

I don't know if there is something better or more recent, and I don't know
why GNU Emacs doesn't also supply Windows executables and Lisp code that
work (as part of the distribution), but it doesn't, to my knowledge. If
someone knows better, please let me know - post an update at Emacs Wiki:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/TelnetMode.

HTH.