Re: emacs 22 on win XP, selection-coding-system, and copy & paste outsid

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: emacs 22 on win XP, selection-coding-system, and copy & paste outside emacs
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 12:51:43 +0200

Am 04.08.2006 um 12:17 schrieb Eli Zaretskii:

If this happens again, please report that as a bug (to
emacs-devel@gnu.org).

I think that what I call a bug is (was years back) meant as a feature (excerpt from mule-cmds.el):

    ("de" "German" iso-8859-1)

This is completely wrong since almost ten years! We have the € as currency, D-Mark is dead. Today eleven other countries have the € (plus Montenegro, I think): http://www.ecb.de/bc/intro/html/map.en.html.

I sent a short bug report ...

If you can afford it, I'd urge you to restore that setting and report any problems you see. There shouldn't be any, now that you removed standard-display-european.

No, I can't afford it! The time of 8 bit encodings has finished. My OS is UTF-8 based. And I hope to die before I'll have to use a 7 or 8 bit OS again. And if I wouldn't die naturally, I'll find some way!

--
Greetings

  Pete

Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped.
                                         - Groucho Marx