Re: I can't yank regexp for/into isearch-forward-regexp's pmpt

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: I can't yank regexp for/into isearch-forward-regexp's pmpt
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 08:05:43 -0600

Kevin Rodgers wrote:
You might be able to do what you want with a little hacking:

(defun isearch-yank-kill-as-regexp ()
  "Like `isearch-yank-kill', except during regular expression search:
Search for the text that matches the string (as a regexp) instead of
searching for the literal string itself."
  (let ((isearch-regexp nil))
    (isearch-yank-kill)))

(define-key isearch-mode-map "\M-z" 'isearch-yank-kill-as-regexp)

Drew Adams points out that we need an (interactive) form between
isearch-yank-kill-as-regexp's argument list and its doc string.

He also reports:

| 2. For some reason, when using `C-M-s' followed by `M-z', the search seems
| to always start at the end of the buffer. So, it first fails, and then it
| can succeed on overwrap search (repeating `C-s'). This problem doesn't occur
| for simple `C-s' search. I'm not sure why this happens.

I suspect it has something to do with the global binding of M-z to
zap-to-char and/or the squirrely business with isearch-other-meta-char,
which I don't understand.  Does the problem go away if you bind a
different meta-character or a control-character to
isearch-yank-kill-as-regexp?

--
Kevin