Re: java syntax highlighting with generics

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: java syntax highlighting with generics
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 11:45:23 +0200

Am 04.08.2006 um 20:14 schrieb gg.t.gadget_saavik@xoxy.net:

First of all, is there a version of java-mode or JDE (I'm a little
confused as to the relationship if any between the two) that can
handle generics and type parameters?

I don't know! But isn't JDE just a generic acronym for *any* Java Development Environment? The different modes in GNU Emacs support for example programming languages by high-lighting particular key words or indenting blocks of code. Another means is that you can insert from a menu particular key words or get special menus.

I am using the Emacs distribution that comes with Red Hat Enterprise 3
and method declarations with type parameters don't have the method
names colored, nor do they show up as speedbar tags.

Could be that auto-mode-alist has no mapping provided for your Java files:

(setq auto-mode-alist
  (append
    '(("\\.java\\'" . java-mode)
   auto-mode-alist)))

C-h v reveals a variable's value.

By the way, how can I display the version number in such a way that I
can select it to copy and paste?

Either C-h v emacs-version RET and then copy from the *Help* buffer, or M-x emacs-version RET and then change to *Messages* buffer.

--
Greetings

  Pete

One doesn't expect governments to obey the law because of some higher moral development. One expects them to obey the law because they know that if they don't, those who aren't shot will be hanged.
                                                 --Michael Shirley