w32 emacs 21.3 problem

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: w32 emacs 21.3 problem
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 18:15:54 -0500

After getting a "Invalid VxD dynamic link error ..." on a win98
installation, I reinstalled windows (conservatively) and tried a few other
things to no avail. Pulling and replacing a memory stick fixed the win98
problem but now I see a debug backtrace instead of getting the .emacs
functionality:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable k)
;; my comment: variable k is some artifact. There is none such in the
.emacs
  eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*> nil "~/.emacs" nil t)
  load-with-code-conversion("d:/EMACS/.emacs" "~/.emacs" t t)
  load("~/.emacs" t t)
  #[nil ",T

The .emacs starts with:

;; -*- coding: utf-8 -*-

and has many exotic characters in it and I suspect that I may have wiped
out some of the .nls codepage files that are needed for unicode support.
The registry, though, looks like they are still installed.

Emacs is invoked in a batch file if that makes a difference:

set HOME=D:\EMACS
D:\emacs\emacs-21.3\bin\runemacs.exe --debug-init
set HOME=

And running Alt-! and then the dos set command shows that HOME=D:\EMACS is
being set correctly in this shell so I'm reading the .emacs that I think I
am.

Before my memory problems this .emacs has been working flawlessly (mostly)
for many months.

Does any of you have any ideas on where I can start looking for a
solution?

Thanks.

Ed