Re: Are there an elisp package manager like apt-get or cpan?

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Are there an elisp package manager like apt-get or cpan?
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 10:58:40 +0200

Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> writes:

Hi Tim,

> I think you hit th enail on the head - the real problem is that we
> don't have a central, maintained and up-to-date repository of emacs
> packages. There have been anumber of emacs lisp archives in the past,
> but they all seem to last only as long as the person who initiated the
> effort is prepared to maintain things. Once they move on to something
> else, it all just dies.

If there was such an repository and an asdf-install like tool for elisp
I'm sure developers would update their packages themselves.

> It would be nice if some body like GNU would setup and maintain a
> single comprehensive elisp archive.

I think a simple packages.el on emacswiki.org would suffice in the
beginning. Then developers could update their packages themselves
without having to register somewhere.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
A child of five could understand this! Fetch me a child of five!