Re: Same non-ASCII characters not 'equal'

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: Same non-ASCII characters not 'equal'
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 21:20:14 -0400

>>>>> "Sebastian" == Sebastian Tennant <sebyte@smolny.plus.com> writes:

Sebastian> Take 'child' and 'çocuk' for instance.  Because the (turkish-postfix)
Sebastian> input method is inherited in the minibuffer you have to type
Sebastian> 'c h i 2 l d' to enter 'child' and a match is found, but when you
Sebastian> enter 'çocuk' by typing 'c , o c u k', no match is found.  Could this
Sebastian> be a bug even?

Emacs versions other than the emacs-unicode-2 branch store each of the
iso-8859-x glyphsets separately.  You are probably ending up with the
8859-1 (Latin 1) version of U+00E7 LATIN SMALL LETTER C WITH CEDILLA
in the elisp; using the turkish-postfix input method most likely uses
8859-9 (Latin 5).

One way to make latin1’s ç and latin5’s ç match is to use one or both
of unify-8859-on-decoding-mode and/or unify-8859-on-encoding-mode.

Or, make sure you use the same encoding to enter the elisp that your
users will use.  There are commands to convert the current buffer to
a different encoding.

Since I’ve moved almost exclusively to the unicode-2 branch, I don’t
remember the specifics of the unify-8859 modes, but they are documented
in info.

-JimC  (who has been caught by this issue before)
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>