same font looks different in menu and buffer

From: rachelms79
Subject: same font looks different in menu and buffer
Date: 18 Aug 2006 06:49:49 -0700

I start emacs -fn rom14 and the menu bar and font menu (seems like all
the menu items) have the proper rom14 font, but the buffer has some
weird warped version of rom14, with the letters smaller and irregularly
spaced.  If I do (frame-parameter nil 'font) and ctrl-j in a scratch
buffer, it says rom14, so at least emacs thinks it's displaying rom14
in the bufffer.

FYI, if I start emacs -fn erg14, I get the exact same font appearance
as with -fn rom14 (warped irregular spaced letters).  If I start emacs
-fn 9x15 or other fonts, then those fonts look correct, but I really
prefer rom14.

Any ideas?  Thanks.