Re: Official emacs-snapshot backport for sarge

From: Romain Francoise
Subject: Re: Official emacs-snapshot backport for sarge
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 15:24:59 +0200

Angelina Carlton <brat@magma.ca> writes:

>> [2] http://people.debian.org/~rfrancoise/sarge/

> is this a repository I can add to my sources? You mentioned it is
> updated frequently, (not as often as sid) so if I have to manually
> install the .deb's I would have to manually update them also?

No, you can use apt-get as usual, with this apt line:

    deb http://people.debian.org/~rfrancoise/sarge/ ./

If you want apt-get source to work too, add:

    deb-src http://people.debian.org/~rfrancoise/sarge/ ./

There's more info on the Emacs Wiki:

    http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EmacsCvsAndDebian

>> [ on sarge packages ]

> I guess really I am asking if there's a step by step process I should
> follow to get your emacs-snapshot backport working.

The backport works out of the box on its own, but some packages in sarge
don't support the emacs-snapshot flavor very well because emacs-snapshot
appeared in unstable after sarge's release.

Things should work mostly okay, but some packages might fail to register
themselves with emacs-snapshot, or cause bugs that are not present in
sid... in those cases using the etch version should solve any issues you
might have.

> The only thing I can think of outside of these is w3m-el which I do use
> from time to time, is this something I could install from etch?

I think the sarge version works w/ e-s, so you don't need to.

--
Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> | The sea! the sea! the open
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | sea! The blue, the fresh, the