Re: Emacs mail client + offlineimap?

From: John Sullivan
Subject: Re: Emacs mail client + offlineimap?
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 20:29:37 -0400

Joseph Le-Phan <five0.oss@gmail.com> writes:

> I've been trying (fruitlessly) to get offlineimap maildir's to be
> accessible by gnus. I've since given up on the idea, and, while gnus is
> a fantastic news reader, I can't seem to make it also my preferred email
> reader, so I'm considering using a separate mail reader.
>
> Short of locally serving my offlineimap repo as an imap server itself
> (with courier-imap or other), can I use an emacs-based email reader to
> access my offlinimap maildir's instead? Can anybody recommend such a
> reader?

I guess I do what you don't want to do, which is run a local IMAP server
(courier), which I then access via nnimap in gnus.

Using offlineimap, I sync the local maildirs with those on the mail server that
actually receives the incoming mail.

My understanding is that nnmaildir won't work with offlineimap maildirs because
nnmaildir doesn't use the standard maildir flags. I think there is a script
floating around on the internets somewhere that will turn the nnmaildir
metadata into flags that can be understood by other maildir programs.

--
-John Sullivan
-http://www.wjsullivan.net