Re: Emacs as Jabber client

From: John Sullivan
Subject: Re: Emacs as Jabber client
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 20:18:53 -0400

"Senthil Kumaran S" <stylesen@gmail.com> writes:

> Does anyone used emacs as a jabber client?, is it possible to do so (I
> know nothing is impossible in emacs). If so please give me some
> pointers. Also it would be great if emacs could act as a client for
> the yahoo protocol.

I use jabber via bitlbee (http://www.bitlbee.org) from emacs using the ERC IRC
client.

I have the bitlbee server running on my laptop, but you could also use one of
the public servers.

The only problem with it is that it can't handle jabber group chats.

I tried the emacs jabber client, which I think can do group chats, but I wasn't
able to get it to work with an SSL server.

bitlbee handles yahoo as well, along with numerous other IM protocols.

--
-John Sullivan
-http://www.wjsullivan.net