RE: Saving/Recalling Shell Commands History?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Saving/Recalling Shell Commands History?
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 14:30:33 -0700

    Now, edited to fit into a system of a handful Emacsen, it is set as:

        '(comint-input-ring-file-name (concat desktop-dirname "/history"))

    Desktop-dirname is defined in .emacs. In recent GNU Emacs 23 the
    variable's value is described as:

        comint-input-ring-file-name is a variable defined in `comint.el'.
        Its value is "~/.history"
        Local in buffer *shell*; global value is
        "~/.emacs.d/PDesktop-23/history"

    When I comment the comint-input-ring-file-name setting line, its
    value is simply "~/.history."

And that doesn't work?

Sorry, I'm no expert on this; perhaps someone else has a suggestion. I
didn't do anything to set that variable, and it works out of the box (on
Windows). FWIW, I have these values for it:

 comint-input-ring-file-name is a variable defined in `comint.el'.
 Its value is "~/.bash_history"
 Local in buffer *shell*; global value is nil