emacs switch similar to vi's -R, or view equivalent?

From: Andrew B. Young
Subject: emacs switch similar to vi's -R, or view equivalent?
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 08:19:29 -0700

Hello,

Is there an emacs switch similar to vi's -R, or view equivalent?

I use emacs regularly but find "view this_file" very comforting,
e.g., sudo view /etc/aliases.  This forces me to ! the write as
an extra measure of safety.

My guess is that I need a special init file that gets loaded via an alias, i.e., "ev this_file".

Thanks,
Andrew