Re: turn on flyspell mode permanently in .emacs

From: kevmitch
Subject: Re: turn on flyspell mode permanently in .emacs
Date: 22 Aug 2006 13:12:53 -0700

Thanks for the advice. It would seem however that neither suggestion
worked. I took a look in my Messages buffer and found that it looks
like flyspell is in fact starting using the .emacs file above, but that
it just isn't taking effect for some reason. This remains to be the
case if I try the lambda function suggested by Kevin. However, using
the text-mode-hook without  (flyspell-mode 1) doesn't turn it on at
all. Here is my message buffer with the same .emacs file. It looks like
flyspell loads fine at the end, but unfortunately seems to have no
effect. Oddly enough, when I manually turn on flyspell-mode after
starting emacs with the (flyspell-mode 1) in my .emacs file, nothing
further is added to the message buffer (whereas it would be if I hadn't
already started flyspell-mode in the .emacs file). In spite of this
message silence, flyspell-mode does seem to magically start working.

(source)...done
(source)...done
(Next local Ispell command will use british dictionary) [2 times]
Starting new Ispell process...
ispell.el is already loaded
For information about the GNU Project and its goals, type C-h C-p.